Monday, March 14, 2016

Living Life with Headaches

Woah, it sure has been a while since I've posted. I guess I've been busy!

Anywho, today's post is about me (go figure) and my struggle with headaches. If you don't know me, here's a little recap of what I've been going through lately.

I started having a horrible toothache one day. I have a lot of mouth problems, believe it or not. Everyone says I have a pretty smile, but man have my teeth caused me LOTS of problems. My toothache got a lot worse, so I waited until I couldn't stand it any longer and called the dentist. He worked me in that day and started poking around. Then he put down those horrible sharp utensils and started feeling around on my jaw muscle. He asked me if I had headaches and I told him everyday. He noticed my jaw popped every time I opened my mouth and every time I closed it. He came to the conclusion I have a dysfunctional jaw muscle. It has been overworked every time I chew. My teeth don't line up when I bite down on my food, so every time I do chew my jaw is going in a zig-zag motion.

My dentist told me I needed to only eat soft foods. I also didn't need to open my mouth all the way or close it all the way either. Very difficult considering one of my favorite hobbies is singing in the choir. He said I need to alternate ice and heat, usually heat being the best, and take anti-inflammatory pills and muscle relaxers. Well, nurses don't like to take medications, so that option was out, and no matter what I did take, my headaches won't go away.

I went back for another appointment and they did a TON of molds, pictures, xrays, etc. After about 45 minutes of molds and stuff, my dentist came in a massaged my main jaw muscle points to figure out which ones were hurting the worst, and then he made me open and close slowly to figure out which tooth hits first and where. My dentist is an expert at this because he said his daughter started having this problems a few years ago so he did a lot of studies on it. He couldn't fix his daughters problem until recently because he said you have to complete growing before he tries to fix the problem. He is still looking at my molds to figure out if he can actually fix my problem or not with a mouth piece, and if he can't, he will have to refer me back to my orthodontist for braces..... OMG NOT AGAIN!

My dentist said once we get my jaw problems fixed, my headaches will go away completely. I sure hope so. Until then, seriously nothing works on getting rid of my headaches. I have a headaches everyday usually. Most of the time I go to bed with a headache. One of the WORST feelings in the world is going to bed with a headache and waking up with one. The struggle is real.Getting a massage helps me relax but that's just temporarily. I can still function with these headaches, but it is very difficult too. I do have migraines too so I know the difference pretty well. I would much rather stay in bed and just lay there, but I've realized whether I'm laying in bed or working out or going to work or whatever, I'm still going to have a headache. So I just suffer through.

It's hard. Some days are better than others. When I don't wake up with a headache, it's an awesome feeling, but then later throughout the day I usually develop one. The left side of my head has been pounding lately, but it's not like a headache pain, it's like a brain spasm or something. Really. It makes my left eye twitch and my neck just tucks down in pain. I'm just hoping these headaches are nothing serious and my dentist can just fix my problem.

I find out this week whether my dentist is going to be able to make my mouth piece or not. All prayers are very appreciated. I really don't want braces again, but if that will fix these headaches, I might be okay with it. Also pray it is just my jaw and nothing more serious.

Thanks everyone! I hope y'all have a great week!

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to hear what the dentist says! Praying that this is nothing major! Love you, Sister!

    ReplyDelete