Tuesday, February 2, 2016

When Your Patients or Their Families Say "Thank You"

I never expect a "thank you" from any of my patients or their families. I do what I do because it is my job and it is something I am called to do. Most of the time patients are hateful and they expect you to drop everything you're doing because apparently the world revolves around them. When patients are hateful, I just have to remind myself that there must be a bigger issue there and they're just taking it out on me. Which is fine, whatever. I may take it too hard sometimes, but at least I can go home and be with my family and spend some time with God and be happy no matter what the circumstances are. 

For every 50 hateful patients, there's at least one grateful one. One patient I had told me all of their life problems and how they just had no where else to turn and didn't know what to do, and all I did was listen, and they told me they've never had someone so sweet to talk to and they were just so thankful I listened to them. It makes you feel good inside even when you respond with, "Oh, it's not a problem darlin', it's my job and I enjoy doing it."

I've never had more grateful patients than when I worked hospice. I loved getting to know my families and somewhat becoming a part of their family  for a short time. Even while their loved one is passing from this world and you can't do anything but comfort them and pray with them, that's okay. Sometimes that's all people need is just your presence. Working hospice, my nursing skills weren't needed much, but my presence was needed on a daily basis. Of course I had my patients to take care of, but I also had their families, too. 

During Upward cheer practice, I've been teaching my little second graders on how meaningful the words "thank you" are. It really does mean more than you think when you say it. God knows just when you need to hear those words, too. It'll be right after a long, awful day where you think you're just not in the right place and someone takes the time to write you a note, send you a letter, or tell you in person what a difference you made in their life and they couldn't be more thankful for you. It means so much.

Just two simple words go such a long way. I think it's so important for nurses to hear a "thank you" every now and then. And not just nurses, "thank you" should be used everyday in your life to show others how much you appreciate them. Let's all take some time today and tell other's "thank you" for simple acts of kindness or what a difference they're made in your life. You never know when someone just needs to hear it!
This was a year or so ago when I worked at CRMC. I had an awful night and leaving my shift I had a family go to Jack's and buy my breakfast, AND bring it back before I even clocked out. It's the little things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment